Monday, August 27, 2012

Ch ch ch changes!

     This is really as good of a place to start as any.  Yesterday was a tough day.   It started with my oldest Dominic who has a major problem with messes and change of any type.  This is Dominic..
That's Dominic with an actual mess on his face.  The horror!

     Dominic is incredibly sentimental.  Outrageously sentimental.  Two years ago, our family did the unthinkable and moved.  This did not sit well with him as you can imagine.  He is the same kid that when he was 4 had a 3 hour crying and sadness marathon because we rearranged some bricks around our pond.  He said that it could never go back to the way it was again and he was devastated.  This poor child does not like anything to change.  We recently discovered that his younger brother Adrian has Sensory Processing Disorder (more on that in the future) and life has changed drastically around our household.  Adding to that fact, there are 3 big deal things happening right now. 
 #1, We are home/unschooling this year for the first time.  
#2, Four days ago I decided to pull every bin out of every storage space and rearrange/organize EVERYTHING.  And anyone that's organized a home knows that it makes a capital M mess.  Every room has been in disarray.  
#3, Derek and I woke up on Saturday morning and decided to change the kitchen.  A lot.  
     You can see a little of the kitchen I'm referring to in the background of the picture of Dominic.  It hasn't changed since the 50's.  The tile is so old that it looks permanently grey/brown dirty despite numerous bleachings and scrubbings.  Well, this kind of change also requires a significant mess.  Taking down and painting cabinets, scraping old tile off the wall, mudding, sanding... you get the picture.  Everything that was in the kitchen is now in every other room of the house.  I think my little guy was ok until he overheard me talking to a friend at church and explaining that we love our 1950's sink cabinet and have to keep it but will be painting it bright yellow.  WHAT?!  says Dominic (with his expressive face).  The thought of having just one crazy looking bright yellow cabinet in an otherwise match-y room sent him over the edge.  I reluctantly got in the car for a drive to another friends' pool party.  It was just the two of us on this car ride and I knew that I wouldn't have the right words to comfort him.  He immediately let loose.  Everything that has bothered him in the past few months just flowed out.  He was crying, I was praying.  My heart hurts for him but I don't know what his sweet little heart needs to hear like God does.  So I asked God to tell me what to say and guess what?  He showed up again.  I won't go into all the details of that hour and a half long ride but as we pulled up to the party, he said with a smile on his face, "Mommy, I'm so glad that I have you.  Finally I feel like someone understands what I'm going through and I'm not alone."  Well after hearing that comment, I was crying.  Oh how I love that young man.  He helps me to grow in so many ways and keeps me on my toes.  I couldn't remain stagnant if I wanted to because I never have the right words for all of his (and Adrian's) questions, comments and opinions.  I am reminded to think of others and how my decisions will always affect someone else, no matter how small they might be.  I'm reminded that someone is watching every single thing that I say, do or don't do and say.  It's so wonderful to know that I am not alone, just to echo what Dominic had to say.  I know that there is someone that also has my back whenever I need words or a reminder to be better or more loving.  God is so good to our family even in the midst of all of these changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment